Asunto:[LEA-Venezuela] ¿ Comer o no comer salado ???
Fecha:Lunes, 21 de Julio, 2008  09:53:24 (-0400)
Autor:Euro Murzi <murzie @...ve>

Traffic tickets for salt — Does healthy eating mean low-salt?

June 26, 2008
What may seem inconceivable, given the Red Lights being given to salt, is that there is no credible evidence low-salt diets can help prevent heart disease, high blood pressure or premature death. Nor is there any sound evidence to support fears that we’re eating too much salt and that high salt diets increase our risks for cardiovascular disease and deaths. Nor can we assume that putting everyone on low-salt diets “can’t hurt” and are benign. In fact, the medical research suggests the very opposite.

To identify the effects of higher and lower intakes, the researchers divided salt intakes into quartiles. The raw data showed that those in the lowest quartile (average 1,500 mg/day) were more likely to be older, not smoke, be normal weight and have higher systolic blood pressures. The highest sodium quartile group (average sodium 5,500 mg/day) was more likely to be men, heavier, smoke and have higher diastolic blood pressures. Over about 9 years of follow-up, there were more deaths among those eating the lower amounts of salt.

Heart disease, high blood pressure and deaths were inversely related to salt intakes: the higher the sodium, the lower the risks; the lower the dietary salt, the higher the risks.

So, try as they might, these researchers were unable to show that among the general population, low-salt diets are associated with lower risks for developing cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure or premature death.

Try as they might, they were unable to show that the highest salt intakes among Americans are associated with higher risks for developing cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure or premature death.

Are our salt fears real?

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/06/traffic-tickets-for-salt-does-healthy.html