Asunto:[LEA-Venezuela] Cancun Declaration of Megadiverse Countries I
Fecha:Viernes, 22 de Febrero, 2002  19:26:10 (-0400)
Autor:Amigos en Defensa de la Gran Sabana.AMIGRANSA/ Orinoco Oilwatch <amigrans @............ve>

Preston Hardison <prestonh@...>
FWD BY AMIGRANSA

[This came without any background on the meeting from which this
originates, and Ididn't come up with much on an Internet search. If  anyone
on the list has any
information on the "Like Minded Megadiverse Countries" coalition, or this
meeting,please let us all know]

THE CANCUN DECLARATION OF LIKE-MINDED MEGADIVERSE COUNTRIES

The Environment Ministers and representatives of Brazil, China, Costa Rica,
Colombia, Ecuador, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico, Peru, South Africa and
Venezuela, meeting in Cancun, Mexico, on 18 February:

Reaffirming that states have sovereign rights over their own biological
resources, as stipulated in the Convention on Biological Diversity and our
commitment to fulfill its objectives, especially articles 8(j), 15, 16 and
19;

Highlighting the need to guide our actions on the basis of a new ethic in
which prevail equitable relations between countries, between men and women,
and responsible attitudes that guarantee the conservation and sustainable
use of biological diversity taking into account the precautionary principle;

Recognizing our important natural heritage, which represents about 70% of
the planet's biological diversity, associated with our cultural richness and
diversity, and which should be preserved and used in a sustainable manner;

Emphasizing that resources from biological diversity, as well as the
environmental services that depend on it, have an enormous strategic,
economic, and social value, and offer opportunities for development for our
peoples and for the international community;

Recognizing the urgent need to develop human resources, institutional
capacity, an appropriate legal framework and public policies that allow our
countries to participate actively in the new economy associated with the use
of biological diversity, genetic resources and biotechnology;

Underscoring the importance of traditional knowledge of indigenous and local
communities for the conservation of biological diversity, the development of
knowledge and the sustainable use of its components;

Expressing our concern regarding the limitations of the various
international instruments to protect effectively the legitimate interests of
countries of origin of biodiversity;

Reaffirming our desire to participate actively in discussions of matters
related to biological diversity in the World Trade Organization and the
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), as well as other regional
and international fora; and

Recognizing that megadiverse countries, especially in tropical and
subtropical zones, possess diverse and very fragile ecosystems, which make
us vulnerable and subject to great impacts on our biodiversity.

Have decided:

1. To establish the "Group of Like-Minded Megadiverse Countries" as a
mechanism for consultation and cooperation to promote our interests and
priorities with regard to conservation and the sustainable use of biological
diversity, with the following objectives:

(a) To present common positions in international fora related to biological
diversity;

(b) To promote the in situ and ex situ conservation of biological diversity
in countries of origin, and the development of joint research projects and
to carry out inventories of their resources, as well as to invest in the
development and application of endogenous technologies in support of
conservation and of sustainable economic activities at the local level;

(c) To endeavor that the goods, services and benefits that come from the
conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity serve to support
the development of our people in order, inter alia, to attain food security,
overcome the health problems that affect us, and preserve our cultural
integrity;

(d) To explore jointly ways to interchange information and harmonize our
respective national laws for the protection of biological diversity,
including associated knowledge, as well as for access to genetic resources
and the distribution of benefits derived from its use;

(e) To establish regulatory frameworks that generate incentives for the
conservation and sustainable use of biological resources, taking into
account existing subregional efforts and initiatives;

(f) To generate greater scientific, technical and biotechnological
cooperation, including the interchange of experts, the training of human
resources, and the development of institutional capacity for research that
serves to increase the value of goods and services derived from biological
diversity and the development of biotechnology, with the proper assessment
of risks and the precautionary principal in cases when it is required;

(g) To create biological diversity information system that includes research
centers, national experiences, agreements and projects in progress, as well
as sources of funding for projects and other information relevant to the
aims of cooperation established here, as a key element to create
opportunities and strategic alliances;

(h) To drive the development of an international regime that promotes and
effectively safeguards the just and equitable distribution of benefits from
the use of biological diversity and its components. This regime should
consider, inter alia, the following elements: the certification of the legal
provenance of biological material, prior informed consent and mutually
agreed terms for the transfer of genetic material as prerequisites for the
application and issuance of patents, in strict adherence to the conditions
of access granted by the countries of origin of this material.

(i) To develop strategic projects and bilateral, regional and international
agreements in the framework of enhanced South-South cooperation, for the
conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources;

(j) To explore the feasibility and viability of creating a voluntary fund
of megadiverse countries, financial institutions and international agencies,
foundations and private initiative to give greater scope to cooperative
projects that derive from what has been agreed for the common benefit,
equally, we must identify, as a group, our own and multilateral sources of
funding to initiate joint projects, as a priority we note those related to
information interchange and scientific cooperation, among others.

(k) To drive actions with other countries, private initiative and
interested groups with the aim, in a spirit of cooperation and mutual
benefits, of showing their responsibility in the appropriate management of
the natural capital of megadiverse countries and contribute in a practical
manner to the objectives of conservation, sustainable use, and sharing of
benefits contained in the Rio Principles and the CBD;

(l) To strengthen the development of traditional knowledge through the
establishment of public policies and financing for indigenous and local
communities, so that they can convert their innovations into viable
commercial projects, as long as they consider it appropriate, with direct
benefits for them, making use where possible of elements of intellectual
property such as trademarks and labels of origin;

(m) To promote the development of a sui generis regime to protect
traditional knowledge, based on clear instruments and mechanisms;

(n) To promote that current intellectual property systems take into account
traditional knowledge associated with biodiversity in the evaluation of
applications for patents and related rights;

(o) To combat jointly the improper or illegitimate appropriation of genetic
resources through the interchange of information on the negative behavior of
academic or private institutions and the development of mechanisms to
control the fate of genetic resources from countries of origin.

2. We exhort countries that still are not parties to the CBD, the Cartagena
Protocol on Biosafety and the Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change [to adhere].

3. We have agreed to meet periodically, both at the ministerial and expert
levels, and have decided that at each ministerial meeting the host country
will assume the role of secretary of the group, assure its continuity, the
development of cooperation among our countries, and the achievement of the
objectives set forth here.

4. Finally, we express our appreciation and thanks to the people and
government of Mexico for having brought together this first meeting and for
the facilities extended for its realization and success.

China, Brazil, India, 9 other nations form alliance against biopiracy
By Mark Stevenson, Associated Press

Tuesday, February 19, 2002

http://enn.com/news/wire-stories/2002/02/02192002/ap_46427.asp

MEXICO CITY - China, Brazil, India, and nine other of the world's most
biodiverse countries signed an alliance Monday to fight biopiracy and press
for rules protecting their people's rights to genetic resources found on
their land.

The declaration - also signed by representatives of Indonesia, Costa Rica,
Colombia, Ecuador, Kenya, Peru, Venezuela, and South Africa - echoed
complaints long voiced by Indians and environmentalists: that wealthy
nations are "prospecting" for species in order to patent or sell them
without offering concessions or benefits for local people.

"Up to now, our nations have not benefited from this great wealth because
there hasn't been an equal sharing between the nations involved nor with the
rural and Indian groups that use and protect biodiversity," said Mexican
Environment Secretary Victor Lichtinger.

Together, the 12 nations in the alliance, which contain 70 percent of the
world's biodiversity, said they would press for more equal trade rules on
patenting and registering products based on plant and animal resources.
Formed in the resort city of Cancun and formally known as the Group of
Allied Mega-Biodiverse Nations, the alliance pledged to press its cause at
this summer's U.N. World Summit on Sustainable Development, to be held in
Johannesburg, South Africa, in August.

Corporations that make medicines from naturally occurring plant derivatives
or secure patents on genetic modifications of those species have raised
fears that the people who first showed scientists where to find those plants
could lose the right to use them or any profits from their use.

For example, farmers in Mexico, where corn originated 4,000 years ago, were
disturbed to find their plants had been accidentally contaminated by
genetically modified corn. They were even more outraged to hear that U.S.
companies might want to charge them for use of those strains.

While intellectual property rights and protection for biodiverse areas are
at the heart of the alliance, Mexico's Environment Secretary said it had no
immediate information on what mechanism the group proposes regarding patents
and compensation.

"The new rules should include, among other things, certifying the legal
possession of biological material and informed consent and mutually
agreeable terms for transferring it," the countries' joint statement said.
Both supporters and detractors of bioprospecting say the 1992 U.N.
Convention on Biological Diversity, an international treaty designed to
protect host countries and Indian communities, is riddled with loopholes and
has been poorly implemented. The United States never ratified the
convention.

"We neither have the internal mechanisms nor the international accords
needed to guarantee an equitable use of genetic resources," Lichtinger told
the founding meeting.

Biodiversity is a measure of plant and animal species found only in limited
ranges. A mega-biodiverse country is one that contains a wide range of
ecosystems or many species found only there.

Copyright ę 2001 Environmental News Network Inc.

AMIGRANSA. Sociedad de Amigos en Defensa de la Gran Sabana
Direccion: Apartado Postal 50460.Caracas 1050-A. Venezuela
Tel y Fax  +58 (212) 992 1884 / Tel +58 (212) 693 9480
e-mail:    AmiGranSa <amigrans@...>

La Sociedad de Amigos en defensa de la Gran Sabana es
una asociacion civil sin fines de lucro,constituida en abril
de 1986 para la preservacion, conservacion y defensa del
patrimonio ecologico -cultural de la Gran Sabana, Parque Nacional Canaima
(Tierra de Tepuis), la Cuenca del rio Caroni y de todas aquellas areas
pertenecientes al Macizo Guayanes. De igual manera unimos nuestros
esfuerzos para que se respeten  los derechos de los Pueblos Indigenas que
habitan estos territorios ancestrales y apoyamos la defensa que estos hacen
para preservarlos
junto a su cultura milenaria.

Nos hemos sumado a esta causa por un profundo amor a la
naturaleza y porque estamos convencidos que el repeto al mundo
natural y a las leyes ecologicas, son una de las vias primordiales
hacia el bienestar y la supervivencia de la humanidad.

AMIGRANSA la integran un grupo de profesionales de
distintas disciplinas,jovenes, estudiantes y una amplia red de
colaboradores formada por habitantes de la Gran Sabana, cientificos y
otros amantes de la naturaleza. El trabajo en AMIGRANSA esta basado en
el voluntariado.

**********

RED ALERTA PETROLERA-ORINOCO OILWATCH
Coordinacion y secretaria: AMIGRANSA
e-mail: ORINOCO-OILWATCH <amigrans@...>,&lN;AMIGRANSA_OILWATCH@...>

En el mes de agosto de 1996,la organizaci█n ambientalista
AMIGRANSA- Sociedad de Amigos en defensa de la Gran
Sabana, promueve  la creaci█n  en Venezuela de la
RED ALERTA PETROLERA (Orinoco-Oilwatch),filial venezolana de
OILWATCH, organizaci█n internacional de resistencia
a la actividad petrolera en los tr█picos y vigilancia de los impactos
ambientales y sociales de dicha actividad, nacida en Quito, Ecuador, donde
se encuentra la Secretaria Internacional de Oilwatch

En la RED ALERTA PETROLERA-ORINOCO OILWATCH, hemos
considerado prioritario por su urgencia y su gravedad,
solicitar una MORATORIA a la activid petrolera en areas de alta fragilidad
ambiental y social; realizar el estudio de la problemĚtica de la zona Delta
del Orinoco/ Golfo de Paria en el extremo oriente del pa╠s, en la
desembocadura del R╠o Orinoco, habitat de la ╚tnia ind╠gena Warao; las
secuelas de la
explotaci█n de petr█leo, carb█n y gas en el Edo. Zulia, el resultado de las
'asociaciones estrat╚gicas' en la faja petrol╠fera del Orinoco y la
deuda ecol█gica.

Sus voceros forman parte de grupos ecologistas, de pueblos indigenas,
instituciones academicas y de investigacion, grupos defensores de los
derechos humanos, grupos de pescadores y de otras poblaciones locales
afectadas por los impactos de mega-proyectos petroleros,gasiferos y
petroquimicos .

Visita nuestro patrocinador:
Aprende la profesión que prefieras cuando quieras, donde quieras y como
quieras con CEAC, el primer grupo de enseñanza a distancia del país.
 * Artes, Belleza, Moda, Salud, Empresariales, Humanidades, Informática,
 * Idiomas, Oposiciones, Técnicos, Turismo y Hostelería, Veterinaria...
Haz click aquí e infórmate: http://www.elistas.net/arforce/36/