Mostrando mensaje 2812
< Anterior | Siguiente >
|Asunto:||NoticiasdelCeHu 84/04 - About Islamic Studies|
|Fecha:||Domingo, 25 de Enero, 2004 10:34:42 (-0300)|
|Autor:||Humboldt <humboldt @............ar>
AL-ELMAN UNIVERSITY -
In the Name of Allah, Most
Gracious, most Merciful
of the University
The idea of establishing a scientific
institution to produce scholars who are qualified to practise “Ijtihad” and
renewal for the Muslim Ummah was a matter of Faith and religion and a dream that
had intrigued the founder of the University, Sheikh Abdul-Majeed Aziz Al-Zindani
for several years.
The idea developed after being discussed with a
group of prominent Muslim scholars, educators and thinkers in Mecca during the
season of Hajj of 1413 A.H.
The trial studies in the University started on
10th shawwal, 1414 A.H.
Actual studies started on 1st Muharram, 1415
The University used hired buildings adapted to
provide classrooms, offices, student residence, kitchens, and restaurants and
all other facilities required for the activities of the University.
The University made use of nearby mosques to
perform prayers and giving after-dawn lectures and public lectures.
A number of professors, readers and
administrators, besides lecturers from other institutions participated in the
process of foundation.
Yemen was chosen as a location for the
University, taking into consideration the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon
him): “The people of Yemen have come to you: they are kind-hearted, Faith is
Yemeni and wisdom and Fiqh (understanding) are Yemeni.” (narrated by al-Bukhari,
Muslim, al-Tirmidhi, ibn Majah and Malik).
Sana’a, the Capital of the Republic of Yemen has been chosen as
a permanent position for the University, with the view of opening other branches
and departments in other Yemeni cities wherever and whenever
The University admitted students from the
Republic of Yemen, as well as other countries in the early stages of its
The language of instruction in the University
is Arabic. Other essential languages are to be taught in advanced levels of
The University aims at serving the cause of Faith (Eman) and
promoting the Yemeni and other societies and realizing an ideal way of living
for people in Yemen, the Arab world, the Muslim World and everywhere else,
through establishing and reinforcing the concepts, principles and truths related
to Faith, and relating its meanings to actual life and to scientific facts, so
as to contribute to cultural resurgence based on science, Faith and morals to
achieve the following goals:
- Preparing and graduating such pious scholars as would be able to practise
Ijtihad and carry the message of belief in various specialities.
- Graduating female pious scholars who would be able to practise Ijtihad and
educate women to observe the tenets of belief in respect to knowledge,
practice and propagation of Islam, and to qualify them to carry out their duty
in harmony with their nature and function.
- The curricula of the University aim at achieving the following:
A) The student is to understand the meaning of Eman (Faith) in
the light of the Qur’an and Sunnah, and the way our righteous predecessors
understood it. He is to learn its evidence and conditions, and its effects on
life, and to purify it from irrelevant meanings and learn the things that annual
it and on what conditions, and how to refute the misconceptions of the
adversaries of Islam.
B) He is to learn the sciences of the Qur’an and Sunnah. He is
to memorize the whole Book of Allah, learn the Qur’anic commentaries and their
approaches, the Hadith and its science, Fiqh (jurisprudence) and its sources,
the Prophe's biography and its Fiqh, the biographies of the Prophet’s
Companions, Islamic history, Arabic and its various arts.
C) He is to learn the science of self-purification (tazkiyyah),
to strengthen self-will and suppress self-indulgence. He is to unveil Satan’s
traps and deceptions so that he may attain the rank of a pious content scholar
who, if specialised in this science, would be able to refute such educational
approaches and theories as deviating from the guidance of Allah, the
D) He is to study the basics of what is called the humanities
critically, so as to detect what is right in them and reveal their implied
deviations and set their errors right in the light of the book of Allah and the
Sunnah of his Messenger (peace be upon him) and the opinions of Muslim scholars,
so much so that the student, after the stage of specialisation, would be able to
practise Ijtihad or become an expert in his speciality and would be able to
bring about a new form of these sciences guided by the instructions of
E) He is to learn the da’wah (message) of the apostles (peace
be upon them) and follow their example and study the approaches of reformors and
assess them in the light of the Book and the Sannah to learn a moral and acquire
F) He is to learn the basics of cosmology and the subjects of
scientific miracles, which would reinforce his belief, revreal the Greatness of
the Creator’s Characteristics, strengthen his belief in his religion and enable
him to participate in the researches of scientific miracles and refute the
blasphemous interpretation of the data of cosmologic science.
G) He is to learn comparative religion in order to observe the
tidings indicating the Prophethood of the Messenger (peace be upon him) and his
being the Last Messenger, and to compare religions to prove that Islam has been
the religion of all the messengers as is stated in the Holy Qur’an and that the
heavenly books revealed before the Qur’an have been distorted and that the
Qur’an is the predominant Book.
H) He is to study the most significant old and modern
philosophical schools, so that, in the level of specialization, he would be able
to criticize them and show how far some Muslim thinkers have been influenced by
them and prove that Allah’s religion is a safeguard against what they contain of
aberration, perplexity and deviation.
I) He is to study the status quo of the Muslims in all its
aspects and to be aware of the importance of the Muslims' unity. He is to study
the Islamic and non-Islamic national, regional and international organizations
that influence the Muslims' current situation, He is to be acquainted with the
contemporary Islamic issues and problems and how to support them, and solve them
in the light of Islam, and to understand the objectives of cultural invasion and
its methods and the destructive movements and how to confront them.
J) He is to be taught how to practise belief , armed with
knowledge. He is to couple theory with practice and be trained to use modern
devices of communication and mass media to disseminate Islam, and use all the
teaching aids that go with the curriculum.
- Qualifying graduates of other Universities, within a curriculum suitable
for their scientific qualifications, to enable them to participate in the
efforts of belief and da’wah (propagation of Islam).
- Offering services to the society in the field of enhancing the renewal of
belief and offering special courses for both men and women and participating
in solving problems and developing abilities and skills in social fields.
- Strengthening the relationship between the University and other relevant
educational institutions, and also between the University and Muslim scholars
in various specilizations and fields that serve the objectives of the
- Enabling the professors, students and researchers to carry out all types
of scientific research that are concerned with the theoretical and practical
objective of the University, and establishing the required centers of
The Study System in the
First: The University makes use of the latest sof
University study in the world. Meanwhile, it relates that to the best
educational systems Muslims have adopted.
Second: The system of study in the University is based
on the following:
- Teaching the whole prescribed textbook and giving autorization (to teach
- Choosing the convenient curricula after careful scrutiny, tests and forums
and a number of conferences held by relevant speicalists.
- Field work and practice constitute an important part of the University
- Every subject, whether major or minor, has praapplications with cand
- A bi-monthly examination, besides the final ex.
- A supplementary exam is held on the 20th of Dhul-Hijja, every year. The
student then is given “pass” only, on success. He is also entitled to take the
supplementary exam in all the subjects he has failed in.
- If a student fails in three or more subjects after taking the
supplementary exams, he will repeat the year, but will be transferred to the
next level if he fails in two subjects only.
- Those who repeat the academic year have to attend all the subjects and
take the exams, with the exception of the subjects in which they have scored
%80 or more, in which case they will be exempted from attendance and exams.
- A term extending from 10th shawwal to 30th Dhul-Qa'da is
devoted for the application of what the students have learned theoretically in
Third: Specific term holidays and vacations on
- Half a month at the end the first semester.
- The month of Ramadan and al-Fitr festival (Ramadan1st-Shawwal
- Al-Adha festival and Hajj season (Dhul-Hajja 1st -20).
Fourth: The lunar chalender has been adopted for the
academic year, beginning from Muharram 1st and ending at the end of
Fifth: Sciences have been categorized into three groups
according to their importance.
- Scientific subjects covering the various fields of shari'a (Islamic
law), which the student will study throughout his stay in the University in
order to become a scholar. These subjects are collectively called : "the
- Minor cognitive subjects for specific times, semesters and years to
enable the student to know the era he is living in. They are called: "The
- Subjects of specialization for the branches of specialization and the
last years of specialization. They are called " The specialization
Sixth: The University has a system of assessement
(examinations), written, oral and practical.
Regulations of Admission to the
University for Yemeni Students
As Allah ta'ala chooses messengers qualified to convey His
Message, the University is keen to choose students qualified to carry the
message of Islam and inherit the Prophets (peace be upon them). The University
stipulates the following:
- The student should have the following qualities characterstic of seekers
A) Seeking knowledge to satisfy Allah.
E) Moral courage.
- He is supposed to have memorized five parts of the Holy Qur'an, at
- He has to be holder of the secondary school certificate or its
- His age should not be over 22 years for Yemenis and 25 years for others.
- A Yemeni student should show his status regarding compulsory military
- A male student should get letters of recommendation from two well-known
persons; a female student should get such recommendations from two trustful
- A student should be a full-time student devoting all his time to his
- A student should pass a personal oral and written review.
Regulations of Admission to the University for Non-Yemeni
First: Requirements of Enrolment
- An applicant should abide by Islamic behavior.
- He should be a holder of secondary school certificate or its
- He should know by heart five parts of the Holy Qur’an.
- He should attend the qualifying reception session starting on the
seventh of Shawwal.
- He should pass the entrance exam during the qualifying reception
- He should not be over 25 years old or under 17.
- He should be a full time student.
- Somebody should sponsor him with $100 for the single student and
$200 for a married one.
- He should get letters of recommendation from an Islamic Center, a
well-known Islamic Society, or two well-know Muslim personalities.
Second: The following documents
should be sent to the University:
- A photocopy of the secondary school certificate (or its
- A photocopy of the passport.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Four photographs (size 4×6).
- A financial surety from the sponsor .
- A letter from the applicant asking for admission. The address is
to be mentioned clearly.
- The above documents should be sent to the Post Office Box of the
University (Republic of Yemen/ Sana’a / P.O. Box 20346) or by Fax:
009671-257588. The student does not have to be present for
- Deadline for application is Rajab, 20.
Third: After being granted initial
admission to the University you should observe the
- You should get a student visa, not a tourist or visitor visa, from
our embassy or consulates abroad.
- You should, on arrival in Yemen, get a written approval from the
embassies or consulate of your country, allowing you to study in AL-EMAN
- In case there is no embassy or consulate for your country, the
second item above is invalid.
- In case you violate the above instructions, you will be
responsible for any outcomes, the University being irresponsible.
- You should present the original certificate authenticated by the
Ministry of Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your
- The university does not offer any scholarships, or certificates,
but it awards licenses from the scholars.
- The University covers expenses for accommodation, food and
- The University is a private institution and it is
supported by benefactors and donors. The study period in the
University is ten years.
- The University does not cover travel tickets whatever.
Note: A student who cannot speak Arabic or does not speak it
fluently will take courses in the center of Arabic first. He, therefore, is not
required to have memorized five parts of Holy Qur'an, or to attend the
qualifying reception session before he has mastered writing and speaking
The period of study in
The period of study in the University is ten Higri years,
including a preparatory one. The period is divided into two stages:
- First stage: (A general stage of 7 years):
It is the stage of graduating a scholar that knows Allah's
religion very well and has the qualities that entitle him to be called a
The University has prescribed a number of suitable books on
commentaries, hadith, Eman (belief), fiqh (jurisprudence) and its sources
(usul), Arabic, the Prophet's biography and history.
By the end of this stage the student will have learned what
is necessary for a scholar well-versed in Allah's religion and will have
studied a number of subjects in the field of specialization he had closen in
the second year following the preparatory year. Those subjects cover the
rules, fundamentals, curricula and schools in his field of specialization. In
this stage the student studies such types of knowledge in the field of life,
humanities, religions and scientific theories as will enable him to be
well-informed about the era he lives in. The objective of this stage is to
graduate a scholar well-versed in his religion, well-informed about his era
and having mastery of his specialization.
- The second stage:
The advanced stage of specialization (postgraduate) (3 years):
It is the stage at which the student specializes in one of the branches of the
sciences taught in the University. He studies that branch intensively and
profoundly so that he becomes a scholar entitled to practice Ijtihad in his
field of specialization and becomes a researcher in the sciences of faith
(Eman), commentator (mufassir),expert in hadith (muhaddith), expert in
jurisprudence (faqih), scholar in the sources of jurisprudence, linguist,
learned propagator of Islam, or becomes a scholar qualified to give original
personal judgment (Ijtihad) in the fields of social and human sciences,
according to his specialization: a scholar in administration, in education, or
in information and mass media.
The privileges and facilities available
in the University
The University, in order to achieve its objectives, has
prepared for its students, both male and female, the facilities and advantages
it can afford, such as:
- Furnished accommodation for the students.
- The prescribed textbooks, notebooks and other necessary educational
- No financial commitments or tuitions are imposed on the students.
- Medical care within the district of Sana'a.
- Scientific and propagational (da'wah) trips necessary to complement the
- Field visits to places, sights and persons to achieve the objectives of
- Establishing scientific centers relevant to the curriculum and seving it:
A) A comprehensive central library and another library in the
research center at the disposal of both professors and students.
B) Training computer unit.
C) Audio-visual library of audio and video cassettes.
D) A unit for (astronomical observations) to serve the courses
of scientific miracles and astronomy.
E) An internet center
F) A center of teaching aids to serve the process of
G) A research center equipped with all that is needed by
researchers in various fields of knowledge.
- Participation of the students in all the activities of the University
lectures, forums and conferences.
- Covering the expenses of practical applications.
The principle of specialization which Al-Eman University adopts
is derived from the Divine Laws in the process of creating creatures, in that it
begins with a whole entity, the planned or programmed zygote, and then it
proceeds on the path of specialization in stages till it ends with the exact
differentiated function of each organ of the creature.
The first (preparatory) year in Al-Eman University, represents
the common or general stage when the student learns the preliminaries,
fundamentals and introductions of sciences, so that he can choose the branch he
intends to specialize in.
Specialization starts in the third year (the second after the
preparatory year) in one of the following colleges:
First: Al-Eman College which comprises the following
- The Holy Qur'an and its sciences.
- Hadith and its sciences.
- Al-Tazkiya (self-purification).
- Cosomlogy and scientific miracles.
- Al-Milal wal- Nihal and modern sects (madhahib).
Second: Al-Shari'a College which comprises the
- Al -Fiqh (Jurisprudence).
- Usul (Sourc) of Fiqh.
- Al-Qada' (Judiciary).
- Al-Shari'a and Secular laws.
- The Arabic language.
Third: The College of Humanities and Social Sciences
which comprises the following scientific Departments:
- Islamic Sociology and Statistics.
- Islamic Economics.
- History and Islamic Civilization.
- Politics and Islamic Legal Politics.
- Islamic Administration and Accountancy.
- Education and Islamic Psychology.
- Future Prospects and Strategic Studies.
Fourth: College of Da'wah and Information which
comprises the following scientific Department;
- The Prophet's Biography.
- Mass media.
- The Status Quo othe Mu.
- Languages and Translation.
The Section of Female
Among the objectives of al-Eman University is graduating pious
female scholars who can pracIjtihad, educating women according to the precepts
of faith in terms of knowledge, conduct and da'wah, and qualifyng them to
perform their duties which their nature and function require.
To achieve these objectives, the University has started a
section for women students to provide women with science and knowledge.
The women's section is parallel to the men's section exactly in
respect to :
- The requirements of enrolment, the number of years of study and the
scientific permits or certificates awarded by the University.
- The curricula, with some difference in some cognitive specializations to
agree with the nature of women and preparing them to achieve the goals for
which they have been created.
- The study system.
- Classes start at 7 a.m. and end at 12:45 daily.
- No boarding house is available for women students at present; therefore,
only those who are living in Sana'a and its suburbs are enrolled and the
University secures transpot for them from their houses to the University and
vice versa within the capital and nearby suburbs.
- The University provides the women students with textbooks, summary
notebooks and other necessary educational implements.
- Food is provided to the women students during their being in the
- The University has a nursery for the babies of the mothers among the
students in their own colleges.
- Assessments, examinations and semesters are the same as those for male
- The program of study and the number of study hours are the same as those
for male students.
The University Scientific
The University has established several scientific centers
concerned with and complementing the University curricula. They are:
- The Research Center:
A unit that serves the curricula and a place where
conferences, forums and meetings are held. The center is devoted to the
researches of scholars, professors and researchers and has been provided with
all that is required by the researcher. The center has a comprehensive library
containing Arabic and English references in the sciences of shari'a and
cosmological science, a TV unit, translation department and a computer
- Central Library:
A general comprehensive library including sciences, branches of
knowledge, researches, studies and publications.
The following departments constitute part of the Library:
A. General knowledge.
B. Manuscripts Department.
C. Periodicals Department.
D. Documents Department.
E. Theses and Dissertations Department.
F. Special Libraries Department.
- The Center of Teaching and Educational Aids:
A Center serving the objectives of teaching, graduate studies
and scientific researches related to the University and other educational
institutions outside the University.
- Educational Computer Center.
- An audio-visual library for audio and video cassettes to record the
teaching materials and lectures for the students to review.
- Center of Astronomy (Observatory):
to serve the subjects of I'jaz (Scientific Miracles) and
researches of astronomy.
- Center of teaching Arabic to non-Arabic speakers (Arabic courses
are offerred only to non-Arabic speaking applicants who are admitted to the
- Center of University Assessment:
it evaluates the performance of the University and its methods.
In this center there occurs the appraisement or evaluation of the curriculum,
the professor, the student, the administration, field practices, textbooks,
activities, regulations, devices, and all that is related to the educational