Asunto:NoticiasdelCeHu 839/03 - Studying in Liberia
Fecha:Jueves, 26 de Junio, 2003  03:18:39 (-0300)
Autor:Humboldt <humboldt @............ar>

NCeHu 839/03

Cuttington University College, Monrovia - Liberia

FROM: Dr. Henrique F. Tokpa, president
This comes to formerly inform you that since March 15 when we evacuated campus because of another rebel incursion into Gbarnga, about 80% of our school items have been transported to Monrovia where we have been forced to take refuge. We’ve managed to secure a building on Smyth Road, in Sinkor to host the University College temporary. According to our new calendar, classes will begin on April 7 and commencement 3will be on July 27th. The building needs renovation but the faculty and students are willing to have classes there while seeking funding to do the repairs. The estimated cost for the repairing of the building is US424,000.00. A prominent family in Liberia gave this building to CUC administration free of charge. However, it was agreed that US$500.00 be given to the matriarch monthly and this should be done quarterly as a token. They told us to use it as long as we need it. We have intended to use it for a semester or a year at most. We will appreciate any assistance from any individual to cover the renovation cost and the monthly compensation to the family.

The three 93) generators donated by ASHA have been brought down to Monrovia and are now in a well-secured building - we are grateful to Dr. Nathaniel Richardson, a CUC Board member for lending us his trucks to transport the generators. Cuttington actually does not have trucks and this cost us to encounter difficulties in transporting materials to Monrovia. Our two (20 old buses have broken down; we hope we will have them repaired better in the future. We have also been blessed to receive some assistance from individuals and organizations such as Dr. Nathaniel Richardson, the Government of Liberia through the General Services Agency (GSA) and the Liberians United to Serve Humanity (LUSH) by donating their trucks to us in order to bring down the college’s materials to Monrovia.

We are also thankful to the Rt. Rev. Edward W. Neufville, II for providing CUC with office space on the 4th floor of ECOBANK/Episcopal Church building on Ashmun Street (one floor below the Bishop’s office). We have informed the Bishop that we intend to use the place for three (30 years at which time the City Plumbing Building will be ready to house our offices.

We ask that you please pray for us for peace and a better future.

Thank you very much.

If you are interested in helping Cuttington or Financing a student, contact:
Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion
The Episcopal Church Center
815 Second Avenue
New York, NY  10017-4594
or