Asunto:NoticiasdelCeHu 334/15 - 1st Economic Geography Conference - The New Geography of Capitalism
Fecha:Domingo, 1 de Noviembre, 2015  16:48:27 (-0300)
Autor:Noticias del CeHu <noticias @..............org>

NCeHu 334/15

1st Economic Geography Conference

Mar del Plata (Argentina)
22 - 24 June, 2016

"The New Geography of Capitalism"

Ten years ago, in 2005, the Geoecon Collective was formed in Argentina. It was born from a decision made by several groups of lecturers teaching economic geography and related issues in a number of universities, and it gave birth to the Economic Geography Symposiums held once a year since 2005.

After one decade, the Collective is now calling for the First Economic Geography Conference, to be held in Mar del Plata (Argentina) in June 2016. The leading theme of the EGC is “The new geography of Capitalism”, and the main tracks are “Capitalism as geography” and “crisis and geography”.

The Geoecon Collective was conceived as a tool for developing a coordinated agenda to strengthen economic geography. We believe that reinforcing economic geography is a key strategic objective to counter the conservative shift in our discipline, a shift that has been common to many academic disciplines for the last 25 years. A shift that can be identified in the varied expressions of the so-called Posmodernity, and that in the field of geography has been articulated through the growth of culturalist and particularist trends.

Economic geography is the key to bring back in historical materialism. The Geoecon Collective, the Economic Geography Symposiums and, now, the First Economic Geography Conference, follow this objective.The theme and the tracks are also framed within this goal. They illustrate the will to strengthen economic geography as a critical tool for driving the materialist counteroffensive in and from our discipline.