Fifth International and Interdisciplinary
Alexander von Humboldt,
Travels Between Europe and the
at Freie Universität Berlin,
Researchers from all disciplines,
professors and graduate students interested in travels between Europe and the
Americas are invited to submit abstracts of their papers for
– Alexander von
– Travels Between Europe and Latin America (15th through
– Travelling in Dictatorships: Colonialism, Caudillismo,
– Travel and Science: Measuring, Collecting, Imagining
– Contemporary Travel
– Emigration and
– Traveling, Gender,
– Travel Cultures, Practices and Economies: Discoveries,
– Global Environments: Travels and
– Narrating Voyages: the
– Theories of Mobility and Travel Literature
– In special sessions, travel writers
and correspondents will read from their
– Cultural activities, excursions to
historic sites and a guided tour in Berlin will be
– The conference will end with an
optional trip to Weimar.
– Papers will be considered for
– Papers may be presented in English,
German or Spanish.
– Participants who wish to speak in
German or Spanish are asked to provide English versions of their papers to be
projected onto screens during their talk.
– Presentations should not exceed 20
minutes (approximately 8 pages double-spaced, 2.000
Abstracts may be submitted in English, German or Spanish (250 words maximum).
Please submit your abstracts online via www.humboldtconference2009.de.
– If you would like to suggest a
panel, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the title of
your panel, the chair (name and contact information) and the titles and
reference numbers of each of the presentations which were submitted separately
under “additional panels“ in the online abstract
– The deadline for submissions is
December 1, 2008.
– 100 Euros for North American and
– 50 Euros for graduate students and
Latin American participants.
– Dr. Lilianet Brintrup, Conference
– Dr. Oliver Lubrich, Conference Vice
For detailed information please visit our website at
Peter Szondi Department of
Humboldt State University
of World Languages and
Arcata, California 95521, USA