Asunto:[dxcolombia] ARLP002 Propagation de K7RA
Fecha:Sabado, 14 de Enero, 2006  08:40:35 (-0500)
Autor:Oscar A. Gaviria <hk6dos @.......co>

SB PROP ARL ARLP002
ARLP002 Propagation de K7RA

Geomagnetic conditions have been very, very quiet. This week has seen many
periods when the K index, both planetary and mid-latitude, was 0 or 1. The
average planetary/mid-latitude K index this week dropped from 5.4/5.1 (last
week) to 3.3/3.4, respectively.

Of course, this low in the solar cycle, it is not surprising that sunspot
numbers and solar flux dropped also. Average daily sunspot numbers dropped
by 35 points from last week to 14.7, and solar flux was down 7.5 points to
an average of 79.4.

Over the next week expect these conditions to stay the same, with possibly
some slightly unsettled geo-activity on January 16.

Users of Canada's Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory data (such as
me) were caught off-guard this week when our source of thrice-daily solar
flux readings seemed to disappear from the net.

By Googling around and using a freeware program called Xenu Link Sleuth (a
handy desktop web spidering application, which you can also find via a
Google search) I finally discovered the new home of the Current Flux
Archive. It now appears at
http://www.drao-ofr.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/icarus/www/current.txt. The
observatory's servers seem to have moved from drao.nrc.ca to the much
longer domain shown in the URL.

More 10 meter mail arrived this week. Glenn Stewart, N7NRA of Mesa, Arizona
reminds us to check for beacons between 28.2 and 28.3 MHz. Glenn says, "If
you hear beacons, there is a very good likelihood that you can raise a
PSK31 contact or two by calling CQ on PSK at 28.120. If you get lucky and
find half a dozen or so PSK signals at 28.120, and if some of them are
strong, head for 28.345 - 28.350 and call CQ on Phone. Chances are
excellent that you'll raise a phone contact or two. The band's not dead.
The problem is that everyone is listening. No one is calling CQ. Give it a
try!"

Also in Arizona, and on 10 meters, is Hank Pfizenmayer, K7HP in Phoenix,
about 15 miles northwest of N7NRA. He said that on December 26, 2005 on 10
meters from 2137-2220z he worked KP2L, KP4DKE, S9SS, MM0SLH, VE3FGU and
ZL1BYZ. The next day he worked ZL2BSJ, ZL1BYZ and ZL3KR. He says, "I listen
just about every day to the 10 meter beacons, usually a couple times at
least, and it would be easier to list days that I do not hear a beacon
somewhere. I have found I can call CQ on CW for long periods with no
activity at all even though I am hearing beacons all over the east coast."

Bob Skaggs, KB5RX in Santa Fe, New Mexico says he has been listening to 17
meters later, and observed, "When local sunset occurs, the band goes dead
within 5 minutes. From 10 over 9 to nothing in less than 7 minutes. Not
like when the sunspot activity is high where the band slowly fades."

If you would like to make a comment or have a tip for our readers, email
the author at,
k7ra@....

For more information concerning radio propagation and an explanation of the
numbers used in this bulletin see the ARRL Technical Information Service
propagation page at,
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/propagation.html. An
archive of past propagation bulletins is found at,
http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/prop/.

Sunspot numbers for January 5 through 11 were 23, 24, 11, 11, 11, 11 and 12
with a mean of 14.7. 10.7 cm flux was 83.4, 82, 79.2, 78.2, 77.6, 77.8, and
77.3, with a mean of 79.4. Estimated planetary A indices were 3, 6, 5, 4,
2, 1 and 2 with a mean of 3.3. Estimated mid-latitude A indices were 3, 6,
6, 5, 1, 2 and 1, with a mean of 3.4.
NNNN

                        >>> 425 DX NEWS - NEW SEARCH TOOL <<<

Leonardo Lastrucci, IZ5FSA  has developed a software which allows to query the
425 DX News Archive  maintained on
www.ariscandicci.it from the PacketCluster.
The command is SH/425 [text], where [text] should be replaced with a callsign,
a IOTA Reference number, Island name, Antarctica Base, Lighthouse, etc.