Mostrando mensaje 363
< Anterior | Siguiente >
|Asunto:||[CeHuNews] 14/04 - About Islamic Studies|
|Fecha:||Domingo, 25 de Enero, 2004 10:39:50 (-0300)|
|Autor:||Humboldt <humboldt @............ar>
AL-ELMAN UNIVERSITY -
In the Name of Allah,
Most Gracious, most Merciful
The Foundation of the University
The idea of establishing a scientific institution to produce scholars who are
qualified to practise “Ijtihad” and renewal for the Muslim Ummah was a matter of
Faith and religion and a dream that had intrigued the founder of the University,
Sheikh Abdul-Majeed Aziz Al-Zindani for several years.
The idea developed after being discussed with a group of prominent Muslim
scholars, educators and thinkers in Mecca during the season of Hajj of 1413
The trial studies in the University started on 10th shawwal, 1414
Actual studies started on 1st Muharram, 1415 A.H./1994-1995
The University used hired buildings adapted to provide classrooms, offices,
student residence, kitchens, and restaurants and all other facilities required
for the activities of the University.
The University made use of nearby mosques to perform prayers and giving
after-dawn lectures and public lectures.
number of professors, readers and administrators, besides lecturers from other
institutions participated in the process of foundation.
Yemen was chosen as a location for the University,
taking into consideration the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him): “The
people of Yemen have come to you: they are kind-hearted, Faith is Yemeni and
wisdom and Fiqh (understanding) are Yemeni.” (narrated by al-Bukhari, Muslim,
al-Tirmidhi, ibn Majah and Malik).
Sana’a, the Capital of the Republic of Yemen has
been chosen as a permanent position for the University, with the view of opening
other branches and departments in other Yemeni cities wherever and whenever
The University admitted students from the Republic of Yemen, as well as other
countries in the early stages of its foundation.
The language of instruction in the University is
Arabic. Other essential languages are to be taught in advanced levels of
The University aims at serving the cause of Faith
(Eman) and promoting the Yemeni and other societies and realizing an ideal way
of living for people in Yemen, the Arab world, the Muslim World and everywhere
else, through establishing and reinforcing the concepts, principles and truths
related to Faith, and relating its meanings to actual life and to scientific
facts, so as to contribute to cultural resurgence based on science, Faith and
morals to achieve the following goals:
- Preparing and graduating such pious scholars as would be able
to practise Ijtihad and carry the message of belief in various specialities.
- Graduating female pious scholars who would be able to
practise Ijtihad and educate women to observe the tenets of belief in respect
to knowledge, practice and propagation of Islam, and to qualify them to carry
out their duty in harmony with their nature and function.
- The curricula of the University aim at achieving the
A) The student is to understand the meaning of
Eman (Faith) in the light of the Qur’an and Sunnah, and the way our righteous
predecessors understood it. He is to learn its evidence and conditions, and its
effects on life, and to purify it from irrelevant meanings and learn the things
that annual it and on what conditions, and how to refute the misconceptions of
the adversaries of Islam.
B) He is to learn the sciences of the Qur’an and
Sunnah. He is to memorize the whole Book of Allah, learn the Qur’anic
commentaries and their approaches, the Hadith and its science, Fiqh
(jurisprudence) and its sources, the Prophe's biography and its Fiqh, the
biographies of the Prophet’s Companions, Islamic history, Arabic and its various
C) He is to learn the science of self-purification
(tazkiyyah), to strengthen self-will and suppress self-indulgence. He is to
unveil Satan’s traps and deceptions so that he may attain the rank of a pious
content scholar who, if specialised in this science, would be able to refute
such educational approaches and theories as deviating from the guidance of
Allah, the Almighty.
D) He is to study the basics of what is called the
humanities critically, so as to detect what is right in them and reveal their
implied deviations and set their errors right in the light of the book of Allah
and the Sunnah of his Messenger (peace be upon him) and the opinions of Muslim
scholars, so much so that the student, after the stage of specialisation, would
be able to practise Ijtihad or become an expert in his speciality and would be
able to bring about a new form of these sciences guided by the instructions of
E) He is to learn the da’wah (message) of the
apostles (peace be upon them) and follow their example and study the approaches
of reformors and assess them in the light of the Book and the Sannah to learn a
moral and acquire experience.
F) He is to learn the basics of cosmology and the
subjects of scientific miracles, which would reinforce his belief, revreal the
Greatness of the Creator’s Characteristics, strengthen his belief in his
religion and enable him to participate in the researches of scientific miracles
and refute the blasphemous interpretation of the data of cosmologic
G) He is to learn comparative religion in order to
observe the tidings indicating the Prophethood of the Messenger (peace be upon
him) and his being the Last Messenger, and to compare religions to prove that
Islam has been the religion of all the messengers as is stated in the Holy
Qur’an and that the heavenly books revealed before the Qur’an have been
distorted and that the Qur’an is the predominant Book.
H) He is to study the most significant old and
modern philosophical schools, so that, in the level of specialization, he would
be able to criticize them and show how far some Muslim thinkers have been
influenced by them and prove that Allah’s religion is a safeguard against what
they contain of aberration, perplexity and deviation.
I) He is to study the status quo of the Muslims in
all its aspects and to be aware of the importance of the Muslims' unity. He is
to study the Islamic and non-Islamic national, regional and international
organizations that influence the Muslims' current situation, He is to be
acquainted with the contemporary Islamic issues and problems and how to support
them, and solve them in the light of Islam, and to understand the objectives of
cultural invasion and its methods and the destructive movements and how to
J) He is to be taught how to practise belief ,
armed with knowledge. He is to couple theory with practice and be trained to use
modern devices of communication and mass media to disseminate Islam, and use all
the teaching aids that go with the curriculum.
- Qualifying graduates of other Universities, within a
curriculum suitable for their scientific qualifications, to enable them to
participate in the efforts of belief and da’wah (propagation of Islam).
- Offering services to the society in the field of enhancing
the renewal of belief and offering special courses for both men and women and
participating in solving problems and developing abilities and skills in
- Strengthening the relationship between the University and
other relevant educational institutions, and also between the University and
Muslim scholars in various specilizations and fields that serve the objectives
of the University.
- Enabling the professors, students and researchers to carry
out all types of scientific research that are concerned with the theoretical
and practical objective of the University, and establishing the required
centers of scientific research.
The Study System in the
First: The University
makes use of the latest sof University study in the world. Meanwhile, it relates
that to the best educational systems Muslims have adopted.
Second: The system of
study in the University is based on the following:
- Teaching the whole prescribed textbook and giving
autorization (to teach it).
- Choosing the convenient curricula after careful scrutiny,
tests and forums and a number of conferences held by relevant speicalists.
- Field work and practice constitute an important part of the
- Every subject, whether major or minor, has praapplications
with cand prespecified object.
- A bi-monthly examination, besides the final ex.
- A supplementary exam is held on the 20th of Dhul-Hijja, every
year. The student then is given “pass” only, on success. He is also entitled
to take the supplementary exam in all the subjects he has failed in.
- If a student fails in three or more subjects after taking the
supplementary exams, he will repeat the year, but will be transferred to the
next level if he fails in two subjects only.
- Those who repeat the academic year have to attend all the
subjects and take the exams, with the exception of the subjects in which they
have scored %80 or more, in which case they will be exempted from attendance
- A term extending from 10th shawwal to 30th
Dhul-Qa'da is devoted for the application of what the students have learned
theoretically in their study.
Third: Specific term
holidays and vacations on religious occasions:
- Half a month at the end the first semester.
- The month of Ramadan and al-Fitr festival
- Al-Adha festival and Hajj season (Dhul-Hajja 1st
Fourth: The lunar
chalender has been adopted for the academic year, beginning from Muharram
1st and ending at the end of Dhul-Qa'da.
Fifth: Sciences have
been categorized into three groups according to their importance.
- Scientific subjects covering the various fields of shari'a
(Islamic law), which the student will study throughout his stay in the
University in order to become a scholar. These subjects are collectively
called : "the scientific requirement".
- Minor cognitive subjects for specific times, semesters and
years to enable the student to know the era he is living in. They are
called: "The cognitive requirement".
- Subjects of specialization for the branches of
specialization and the last years of specialization. They are called " The
Sixth: The University
has a system of assessement (examinations), written, oral and
Regulations of Admission to
the University for Yemeni
As Allah ta'ala chooses messengers qualified to
convey His Message, the University is keen to choose students qualified to carry
the message of Islam and inherit the Prophets (peace be upon them). The
University stipulates the following:
- The student should have the following qualities
characterstic of seekers of knowledge:
A) Seeking knowledge to satisfy Allah.
- He is supposed to have memorized five parts of the Holy
Qur'an, at least.
- He has to be holder of the secondary school certificate or
- His age should not be over 22 years for Yemenis and 25
years for others.
- A Yemeni student should show his status regarding
compulsory military service.
- A male student should get letters of recommendation from
two well-known persons; a female student should get such recommendations
from two trustful witnesses.
- A student should be a full-time student devoting all his
time to his University studies.
- A student should pass a personal oral and written review.
Regulations of Admission to the University for
First: Requirements of
- An applicant should abide by Islamic
- He should be a holder of secondary school certificate
or its equivalent.
- He should know by heart five parts of the Holy
- He should attend the qualifying reception session
starting on the seventh of Shawwal.
- He should pass the entrance exam during the
qualifying reception session.
- He should not be over 25 years old or under
- He should be a full time student.
- Somebody should sponsor him with $100 for the single
student and $200 for a married one.
- He should get letters of recommendation from an
Islamic Center, a well-known Islamic Society, or two well-know Muslim
Second: The following
documents should be sent to the University:
- A photocopy of the secondary school certificate (or
- A photocopy of the passport.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Four photographs (size 4×6).
- A financial surety from the sponsor .
- A letter from the applicant asking for admission. The
address is to be mentioned clearly.
- The above documents should be sent to the Post Office
Box of the University (Republic of Yemen/ Sana’a / P.O. Box 20346) or by Fax:
009671-257588. The student does not have to be present for
- Deadline for application is Rajab, 20.
Third: After being granted
initial admission to the University you should observe the
- You should get a student visa, not a tourist or
visitor visa, from our embassy or consulates abroad.
- You should, on arrival in Yemen, get a written
approval from the embassies or consulate of your country, allowing you to
study in AL-EMAN University.
- In case there is no embassy or consulate for your
country, the second item above is invalid.
- In case you violate the above instructions, you will
be responsible for any outcomes, the University being irresponsible.
- You should present the original certificate
authenticated by the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in
- The university does not offer any scholarships, or
certificates, but it awards licenses from the scholars.
- The University covers expenses for accommodation,
food and textbooks only.
- The University is a private institution and it is
supported by benefactors and donors. The study period in the
University is ten years.
- The University does not cover travel tickets
Note: A student who cannot speak Arabic or does
not speak it fluently will take courses in the center of Arabic first. He,
therefore, is not required to have memorized five parts of Holy Qur'an, or to
attend the qualifying reception session before he has mastered writing and
The period of study
The period of study in the University is ten Higri
years, including a preparatory one. The period is divided into two
- First stage: (A general stage of 7 years):
It is the stage of graduating a scholar that
knows Allah's religion very well and has the qualities that entitle him to be
called a scholar.
The University has prescribed a number of
suitable books on commentaries, hadith, Eman (belief), fiqh (jurisprudence)
and its sources (usul), Arabic, the Prophet's biography and
By the end of this stage the student will have
learned what is necessary for a scholar well-versed in Allah's religion and
will have studied a number of subjects in the field of specialization he had
closen in the second year following the preparatory year. Those subjects cover
the rules, fundamentals, curricula and schools in his field of specialization.
In this stage the student studies such types of knowledge in the field of
life, humanities, religions and scientific theories as will enable him to be
well-informed about the era he lives in. The objective of this stage is to
graduate a scholar well-versed in his religion, well-informed about his era
and having mastery of his specialization.
- The second stage:
The advanced stage of specialization
(postgraduate) (3 years): It is the stage at which the student specializes in
one of the branches of the sciences taught in the University. He studies that
branch intensively and profoundly so that he becomes a scholar entitled to
practice Ijtihad in his field of specialization and becomes a researcher in the
sciences of faith (Eman), commentator (mufassir),expert in hadith (muhaddith),
expert in jurisprudence (faqih), scholar in the sources of jurisprudence,
linguist, learned propagator of Islam, or becomes a scholar qualified to give
original personal judgment (Ijtihad) in the fields of social and human sciences,
according to his specialization: a scholar in administration, in education, or
in information and mass media.
The privileges and facilities
available in the
The University, in order to achieve its
objectives, has prepared for its students, both male and female, the facilities
and advantages it can afford, such as:
- Furnished accommodation for the students.
- The prescribed textbooks, notebooks and other necessary
- No financial commitments or tuitions are imposed on the
- Medical care within the district of Sana'a.
- Scientific and propagational (da'wah) trips necessary to
complement the academic curriculum.
- Field visits to places, sights and persons to achieve the
objectives of the curriurla.
- Establishing scientific centers relevant to the curriculum
and seving it:
A) A comprehensive central library and another
library in the research center at the disposal of both professors and
B) Training computer unit.
C) Audio-visual library of audio and video
D) A unit for (astronomical observations) to serve
the courses of scientific miracles and astronomy.
E) An internet center
F) A center of teaching aids to serve the process
G) A research center equipped with all that is needed
by researchers in various fields of knowledge.
- Participation of the students in all the activities of the
University lectures, forums and conferences.
- Covering the expenses of practical applications.
The principle of specialization which Al-Eman
University adopts is derived from the Divine Laws in the process of creating
creatures, in that it begins with a whole entity, the planned or programmed
zygote, and then it proceeds on the path of specialization in stages till it
ends with the exact differentiated function of each organ of the
The first (preparatory) year in Al-Eman
University, represents the common or general stage when the student learns the
preliminaries, fundamentals and introductions of sciences, so that he can choose
the branch he intends to specialize in.
Specialization starts in the third year (the
second after the preparatory year) in one of the following
First: Al-Eman College
which comprises the following Departments:
- The Holy Qur'an and its sciences.
- Hadith and its sciences.
- Al-Tazkiya (self-purification).
- Cosomlogy and scientific miracles.
- Al-Milal wal- Nihal and modern sects (madhahib).
College which comprises the following departments:
- Al -Fiqh (Jurisprudence).
- Usul (Sourc) of Fiqh.
- Al-Qada' (Judiciary).
- Al-Shari'a and Secular laws.
- The Arabic language.
Third: The College of
Humanities and Social Sciences which comprises the following scientific
- Islamic Sociology and Statistics.
- Islamic Economics.
- History and Islamic Civilization.
- Politics and Islamic Legal Politics.
- Islamic Administration and Accountancy.
- Education and Islamic Psychology.
- Future Prospects and Strategic Studies.
Fourth: College of
Da'wah and Information which comprises the following scientific
- The Prophet's Biography.
- Mass media.
- The Status Quo othe Mu.
- Languages and Translation.
The Section of Female
Among the objectives of al-Eman University is
graduating pious female scholars who can pracIjtihad, educating women according
to the precepts of faith in terms of knowledge, conduct and da'wah, and
qualifyng them to perform their duties which their nature and function
To achieve these objectives, the University has
started a section for women students to provide women with science and
The women's section is parallel to the men's
section exactly in respect to :
- The requirements of enrolment, the number of years of study
and the scientific permits or certificates awarded by the University.
- The curricula, with some difference in some cognitive
specializations to agree with the nature of women and preparing them to
achieve the goals for which they have been created.
- The study system.
- Classes start at 7 a.m. and end at 12:45 daily.
- No boarding house is available for women students at present;
therefore, only those who are living in Sana'a and its suburbs are enrolled
and the University secures transpot for them from their houses to the
University and vice versa within the capital and nearby suburbs.
- The University provides the women students with textbooks,
summary notebooks and other necessary educational implements.
- Food is provided to the women students during their being in
- The University has a nursery for the babies of the mothers
among the students in their own colleges.
- Assessments, examinations and semesters are the same as those
for male students.
- The program of study and the number of study hours are the
same as those for male students.
The University Scientific
The University has established several scientific
centers concerned with and complementing the University curricula. They are:
- The Research Center:
A unit that serves the curricula and a place
where conferences, forums and meetings are held. The center is devoted to the
researches of scholars, professors and researchers and has been provided with
all that is required by the researcher. The center has a comprehensive library
containing Arabic and English references in the sciences of shari'a and
cosmological science, a TV unit, translation department and a computer
- Central Library:
A general comprehensive library including
sciences, branches of knowledge, researches, studies and
The following departments constitute part of the
A. General knowledge.
B. Manuscripts Department.
C. Periodicals Department.
D. Documents Department.
E. Theses and Dissertations Department.
F. Special Libraries
- The Center of Teaching and Educational Aids:
A Center serving the objectives of teaching,
graduate studies and scientific researches related to the University and other
educational institutions outside the University.
- Educational Computer Center.
- An audio-visual library for audio and video
cassettes to record the teaching materials and
lectures for the students to review.
- Center of Astronomy (Observatory):
to serve the subjects of I'jaz (Scientific
Miracles) and researches of astronomy.
- Center of teaching Arabic to non-Arabic speakers
(Arabic courses are offerred only to non-Arabic
speaking applicants who are admitted to the University).
- Center of University Assessment:
it evaluates the performance of the University and
its methods. In this center there occurs the appraisement or evaluation of the
curriculum, the professor, the student, the administration, field practices,
textbooks, activities, regulations, devices, and all that is related to the