Inicio > Mis eListas > cehunews > Mensajes

 Índice de Mensajes 
 Mensajes 263 al 282 
AsuntoAutor
223/03 - Geography Humboldt
224/03 - Social Sc Humboldt
ENCUESTA: CeHu New Lista ce
225/03 - An examp Humboldt
226/03 - BUDDHIST humboldt
227/03 - PARAGUAY humboldt
228/03 - DOCTORATE Humboldt
229/03 - Welcome t Humboldt
230/03 - Geography Humboldt
231/03 - Master of Humboldt
232/03 - 2ND CALL Humboldt
233/03 - ACTIVITIE Humboldt
234/03 - Studying Humboldt
235/03 - Republic Humboldt
236/03 - Italian a Humboldt
237/03 - Latin Ame Humboldt
238/03 - CALL FOR Humboldt
239/03 - Studying Humboldt
Recordatorio event Lista ce
240/03 - LANDSCAPE Humboldt
 << 20 ant. | 20 sig. >>
 
CeHuNews
Página principal    Mensajes | Enviar Mensaje | Ficheros | Datos | Encuestas | Eventos | Mis Preferencias

Mostrando mensaje 278     < Anterior | Siguiente >
Responder a este mensaje
Asunto:[CeHuNews] 234/03 - Studying in Nigeria
Fecha:Lunes, 1 de Septiembre, 2003  16:46:05 (-0300)
Autor:Humboldt <humboldt @............ar>

CeHuNews 234/03
 
 
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
 
NIGERIA
 
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY

In the latter half of the nineteenth century, well-to-do Africans in Lagos met the need for higher education by sending their children overseas for professional training. Some of these returned to press for the establishment of institutions of higher learning in Nigeria. Not much progress was made until the 1930s. In Nigeria, the Yaba Higher College (established in 1932, but formally opened in 1934) and the Yaba Medical School (established in 1930), which granted diplomas and certificates in selected subjects, hardly satisfied the aspirations of those who longed for university education.

The Yaba Higher College phase of education in Nigeria further illustrated the desire of Nigerians for degrees, diplomas and certificates which were not inferior to those awarded by universities in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. So long as British officials did not envisage self-government for Nigerians and senior posts in the public service were reserved for expatriates, pleas for university education in Nigeria fell on deaf ears.

The British Government seriously considered the possibility of establishing universities or university colleges in Commonwealth, and in West Africa, particularly, during The World War II. The Asquith and Elliot Commissions ? both set up in 1943 ? reported on various aspects of this problem in 1945. The majority and minority reports of the Elliot Commission agreed on the establishment of a University College in Nigeria. The Asquith Commission concentrated on the fundamental principles which were to guide the development of Institutions of Higher learning similar to the University College subsequently established at Ibadan. The Asquith Commission emphasized the principles of a residential university college in special relationship with London University, high academic standards in admissions and staffing, and autonomy. Both the Elliot and Asquith Commissions, which exchanged information, agreed that the Inter-University council for Higher Education in the Colonies (later Overseas) was to advise the new University Colleges on how best to attain the objectives for which they were established.

The University College, Ibadan, was founded in 1948. At first, it occupied the old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital about eight kilometers away from the 'new' or permanent site. The new site covered over 1,032 hectares of land generously leased by the chiefs and people of Ibadan for 999 years. With equipment transferred from Yaba Higher College, the 104 foundation students (including 49 students in teacher training and survey courses) began their courses at Ibadan, on 18 January, 1948; the formal opening took place on 25 March, 1948. In February, 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of the Elliot Commission, turned the first sod at the permanent site of the University College, on 17 November, 1948, which became the Foundation Day.

For the foundation medical students, the facilities provided in 1948, by the Native Administration Hospital at Adeoyo and the Government Jericho Hospital, for which the Faculty of Medicine was responsible, were inadequate. Consequently, medical students of the earlier years went to London University for clinical training. To provide more satisfactory clinical facilities at Ibadan, the Nigerian government made available funds for the building of the 500-bed University Teaching Hospital, completed in 1957. Thereafter medical students were fully trained in Ibadan. The first batch graduated in 1960.
With the expansion of facilities at Ibadan, the number of students offered admission increased. In the 1958-59 session, UCI for the first time had a little over 1,000 students; in 1963-64, the figure exceeded 2,000; and tipped the 3,000 mark in 1968-69. The figure for 1972-73 was 4,100, and for 1974-75 and 1975-76, 5,639 and 7,375 respectively. Some of these students included those at the Jos Campus which began with an enrolment of 101 in the 1971-72 session. In the 1973-74 session, the Jos Campus had 326 students, most of whom were prepared for courses in the Faculty of Arts. In the 1975-76 session, the number of students at Jos increased to 550.

On 25 September, 1975, however, the government announced the creation of a University of Jos, and in consequence, arrangements were made to transfer second-year students there to Ibadan and to hand over the campus at the end of the 1975-76 session. The government also announced the setting up of a new University College at Ilorin, to be affiliated to the University of Ibadan. In 1976-77, the total number of students at the University of Ibadan was 8,586, in 1977-78, the total was 8,865 and in 1984-85, the total was 13,862, and rising in 1986-96 to 18,690. The total number of students in the University during the 1996/97 session was 20,434. These are undergoing various courses on a full time basis. There are 851 part-time students. A breakdown by gender revealed that about one-third of the full-time students were female; 13,520 male and 6914 female. It should be noted that the above figures did not include students under the Centre for External Studies (CES) programme and those in the affiliated colleges.

Larger admissions over the years and limited funds for providing accommodation gradually threatened the concept of a residential University, at Ibadan. The Jos Campus, when established, interested itself in experimenting with off-campus accommodation. From the 1972-73 session, students at Ibadan Campus are allowed to live off-campus in larger numbers. The existing halls of residence at the Ibadan Campus are over-stretched in meeting the accommodation need of students. Married students are encouraged to live-off campus. The nine undergraduate halls of residence (Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, sultan Bello, Queen Elizabeth II, Alexander Brown, Independence, Nnamdi Azikwe, Idia Hall) and the two postgraduate halls of residence (Tafawa Balewa and Obafemi Awolowo) have a total optimum capacity of nearly 5,000 students. The older and new halls of residence are different in their designs. The older halls: Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bello and Queen Elizabeth II ? were designed by U.K. based firm of Maxwell Fry and Jane Drew. Alexander Brown Hall ? for clinical students ? was designed by the firm of Messrs Warkins Gray and Partners. The two larger and later built halls ? Independence and Nnamdi Azikwe were the handiwork of the Design Group Limited, while Tafawa Balewa Hall and Idia Hall were designed by Messrs Aderele, Omisore, Adebanjo Associates, Obafemi Awolowo Hall (previously planned to be a student village) was designed by allied Architects.

Until 1972, each Hall of Residence had its own catering facilities, but steps were taken during that year towards providing more centralized catering services. The Central Cafeteria, with a capacity for 1,600 students, was completed on 4 January, 1976. It catered for majority of students. Because of the large numbers of students, however, catering services continued to be provided in Independence, Nnamdi Azikwe, and Tafawa Balewa Halls.
From its inception, the University has encouraged student unionism and the Students' Union has, thus, been an important feature of the University's existence. Housed in a magnificent complex which includes the Central Cafeteria as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool, the Union has as its aims:
(a) To promote the social, cultural, intellectual and sporting activities of its members.
(b) To foster the general interests of its members; and
(c) To contact, co-operate and exchange ideas with other external organizations whose aims are acceptable to the Union.

The Students' Union has been an advocate of student's participation in University administration. And since 1973, students have served on various committees, including the Consultative Committee on the Community Development, the Students' Welfare Board, the Careers Board, the Library Committee, the Catering Board, the Sports Council, the Lodging Bureau, and the Student Disciplinary Committee. In addition, all academic departments have staff/student liaison committees.
The University provides accommodation for some of its senior and junior staff. The Abadina complex caters for the residential needs of the bulk of junior staff. In July 1978, there were 517 housing units, and a further 86 units under construction, on the campus. There are also the University Guest Houses, the Pro-Chancellor's Lodge and other buildings.

The University, in addition, rented 455 units for senior staff living off-campus. The off-campus accommodation for staff was abolished in 1987. In July 1995, there were 607 Housing Units and a further 3 Units under construction at Amina Way and New Phillipson Road on the Campus. The accommodation and maintenance problems of the University increased as the number of junior, intermediate and senior staff rose. In 1959, there were about 530 junior and intermediate staff. In February 1973, their number had risen to 4,197. In 1958, there were only 44 Nigerian senior staff (Academic, Library, Administration and Technical) as against 136 expatriates. But on 1 February, 1973, the University had 117 senior administrative and technical officer, technicians/technologists as well as school teachers in the International School (Secondary) and Staff School (Kindergarten and Primary). Of these, 95 per cent were Nigerians. These excluded a total of 566 academic staff of whom 416 were Nigerians and 150 expatriates. On 31 January, 1978, the University had a total of 787 teaching staff, as against an establishment of 829 for the 1977/78 session. At the same time, the University had a total of 677 administrative, professional and technical staff (although the established figure was 1,053) together with 4,991 intermediate and junior staff. As at the 1984/85 session, the University had a total of 1,043 academic staff with a total of 887 Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff. A total of 3,900 Junior Staff was recorded for the same period. With steady Nigerianization, in the wake of a similar exercise from the 1950s in the public services of the Federation, more and more Nigerians took up appointments in the University. But in general, the University has continued to maintain its historical complexion as an international community of scholars, students and other workers. By 1994/95 Session, the University had a total of 960 Academic Staff with a total of 1,115 Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff. A total of 2,241 Junior Staff was for the same period. In 1995/96, the Academic Staff figure was 972. The Administrative, Professional and Technical Staff was 1,270 and Junior Staff rose to 2,660. In 1996/97 Academic Staff rose to 1,077, while the Administrative, Professional and Technical staff was 1,435 and Junior staff was 2,344.
Staff salaries and other recurrent expenditure besides capital works made the University College (later University) an expensive establishment.

While the British government, the Cocoa Marketing Board, the Nuffield Foundation, the United African Company, and other interested bodies inside and outside Nigeria made generous contributions towards the funding of capital projects, the brunt of the recurrent expenditure fell on the Nigerian government whose subvention rose to from N200,000 in 1949-50 to N7,464,000 in 1971-72. The Federal Government's recurrent grant for 1972-73 was N10,226,000 and for 1973-74 was N11,036,000. The figure for the 1975-76 session (Ibadan and Jos Campuses) was N23,171,000 for the 1976-77 session, N20,826,000, and for the 1977-78 session, N29,031,000. However, the government's grant rose to N236,610,282 in 1993/94 and it increased by N275,226,107 in 1994/95, while in 1995/96 N287,007,678 was budgeted for the University. Based on its recurrent needs, the University of Ibadan received N395,435,057 from the government. In 1996/97, N36,057,095 was generated from sources internal to the University. With inadequate public response to its appeal for an Endowment Fund in the 1950s, the University College relied heavily on government financial aid. From 1952, the government set its financial relations with the University College on a quinquennial basis. In the event, the national crisis in the 1960s disturbed such quinquennial arrangements in favour of ad-hoc grants. Financial grants also came from the American Foundations, notably Ford and Rockfeller which together contributed N7,717,592 to Ibadan's development in the 1962-67quinquennium. In 1997-78, the contribution from the Ford Foundation was N86,577.91, and from the Rockfeller Foundation N39,452.31. Such outside grants have in many ways assisted the academic development of the University particularly in postgraduate studies and staff development.


The Federal Government's grant of N29,031,000 for the 1977-78 session proved most inadequate for the effective running of the University. It was impossible to make any new scholarship awards to postgraduate students. No research grants could be made to any staff. The University's staff development programme had to be suspended. Work on all buildings ? students and staff accommodation as well as office and classroom blocks ? grounded to a halt. Much-needed teaching and research equipment could not be bought. It is clear that given the financial realities of the country, the University would have to re-order its priorities. More importantly, it is also clear that the University has to take vigorous steps to solicit financial aid from well-meaning Nigerians and other friends. The challenge before Ibadan is that of selling its programmes to the Nigerian public, and hoping that those programmes will be so well designed as to win the sympathy and support of the public.

The University College in 1948-49 had three Faculties: Arts, Science and Medicine. Today, there are the College of Medicine and nine faculties: Arts, Science, Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Technology, and Law. In 2002, Faculties of Public Health and Dentistry
were established.

The academic wings of the University include the Library, the Institute of African Studies, the Institute of Child Health, the Computing Centre, the University Press, the Ibarapa Community Health Project, the Behavioural Sciences Research Unit, the Schlumberger Learning Centre. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), financed by the Federal Government, maintained a special link with this University whose council appointed its staff on terms of service similar to those enjoyed by staff of this University. The link was formally severed by Decree No. 70 of 1977. NISER has since moved out of the University Campus to its own permanent buildings on the Oyo Road and operates as a full-fledged Research Institute.

The Academic Board set up under the University College Ordinance (No. 25 of 1948) gave way to the Senate under a new law in 1954. Under that Ordinance (No. 10 of 1954), a recognized Council, was also established, the membership of the Council changed triennially. With academic independence, the University had a new Act in 1962 which with subsequent amendments in 1972, and 1976, has remained the basic Constitution. That constitution also provides for the Congregation, the Convocation, and such officers as the Visitor, the Chancellor, the Pro-Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, the Registrar, the Bursar and the Librarian.

Though financially dependent upon Government and other organizations, and though, constitutionally tied to the Federal Government through the Head of State (also the Visitor), this University from its colonial origins has been trying to safeguard its autonomy in teaching and research. The special relationship with the London University did not prevent the College from adapting its syllabuses to suit local needs wherever possible. Several changes were, in fact, made in the degree structure as the need arose. Although, the College began with general and honours/special degree courses in selected disciplines, these were re-examined from 1962, when the College gained its academic independence. From 1963, general degree courses gave way to honours special degrees. To introduce a greater element of flexibility into the teaching and examination programmes, the Faculty of Science began in 1969, the Course System which, with the exception of the Faculty of Medicine, was generally applied in the 1972-73 session. The various Faculties engaged in the Course System are continuing to deal with the operational problems arising from the Course System especially in such areas as decentralized control and the need for increased staffing to tackle a variety of academic and administrative duties. The first set of students trained under the Course System graduated in June, 1972. In its teaching postgraduate and research programmes, the University has adequately met the challenges posed by changing times and changing national priorities. Far from being encased in a colonial cocoon, the University boldly ventured into new fields such as the Jos Campus scheme and the establishment in 1970 of the Institute of Applied Science and Technology. Above all, the University has continued to maintain a high standard of scholarship in various academic disciplines.

The University of Ibadan produced 52,312 first-degree graduates between 1948-97, 10,398 Diplomas and Certificates. It is also the foremost postgraduate training centre in the country. The first postgraduate degree was awarded in 1952, under the scheme of special relationship with the University of London. From 1968 to 1997, Ibadan has produced 17,748 Masters Degrees and 2,327 Ph.Ds. While a substantial number of the products of the Ibadan Postgraduate School have joined its staff; many have gone to newer Universities. Indeed, the demand for manpower at this level has risen so phenomenally that Ibadan is not able to meet it. The National Universities Commission (N.U.C) recognizing the role of Ibadan, in this regard, has responded favourably to Ibadan’s expressed wish to go increasingly postgraduate in its development, while keeping its undergraduate intake at its present level. Financial constraints have, however, prevented the kind of increase in postgraduate intake that was anticipated. Nevertheless, the University has re-organised the administration of postgraduate work. In the 1976-77 session, a Postgraduate School, with a Dean as its head, replaced the Board of Postgraduate Studies. The School now has a Board made up of all Deans, all Heads of Departments, and one elected representative from each Faculty. Faculty Postgraduate Committees have been set up and each Faculty as well as the Institute of Education and Institute of African Studies have a Sub-Dean for postgraduate affairs. The instrument for effective and speedy administration of the affairs of postgraduate students is, thus, ready at hand, and the stage is set for a major take-off in this direction, subject to the availability of funds. In addition to the numerous academic programmes available in the University, the following were established during the 1995/96 session: Bachelor in Library and Information Studies; Masters in European Studies; Geographical Information System; Strategic Studies; Managerial Psychology; Archival Studies & Records Management and Ph.D in Information Science.

Despite changing political and constitutional arrangements, the independent University of Ibadan has been generally fortunate in its leadership. The Visitor to the University has always been the Head of State. Ibadan has, thus, had eight Visitors since it became independent; the Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, M.A. (Linc.) M.Sc. (Penn.), Hon. LL.D. (Linc.), Hon. D. Litt. (Nig.) (1963-1966); Major-General Yakubu Gowon (1966-1975), and Lieutenant-General Olusegun Obasanjo was the Visitor from 1976-1979. The tenure of two other Heads of State ? Major-General Aguiyi-Ironsi and Brigadier Muirtala Muhammed was so short that they had little time to relate with the University in their capacities as Visitors. With the advent of civilian administration in 1979, General Obasanjo was succeeded by President Shehu Shagari as the Visitor to the University (1979-1983). On 31December, 1983, following the military take-over, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari C.F.R., as the Head of the Federal Military Government, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, became the Visitor to the University. Following a military coup on 27 August 1985, he was succeeded as the Visitor by Major-General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, C.F.R., President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed forces, who was succeeded briefly by Chief Ernest Shonekan, the Head of State of the Interim Government in 1993, and General Sanni Abacha succeeded Chief Shonekan as the Visitor to the University in November 17, 1993. General Abdusalami Abubakar became the Visitor on June 8, 1998, immediately after the death of General Sanni Abacha. Following the return of civilian administration on 29 May, 1999, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, G.C.F.R., became the Visitor, for the second time.

Ibadan’s first Chancellor was the late Alhaji, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, P.C., K.B.E, the first Prime Minister of the Independent Nigeria who died in the military coup of January 1966. His successor in office was Sir Kashim Ibrahim, G.C.O.N, K.C.M.G., C.B.E., Hon LL.D. (Ibadan), one of the most respected public figures in Nigeria, who served as the Chancellor for nearly a decade before the was appointed the Chancellor of the University of Lagos, in 1975. The next Chancellor, who was inducted on 24 April, 1976, was His Highness, Alhaji Ado Bayero, C.F.R.., Hon. LL.D. (Nigeria), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), the Emir of Kano. He was succeeded on 1 September, 1984 by His Highness, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, C.F.R., B.A. (Cantab), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), Hon. LL.D. (Zaria), Oba of Benin. The Chancellor was inducted on 17 November, 1984. Thereafter, His Royal Highness Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula, Tor Tiv IV, was inducted on 17 November 1994. All of these men have served Ibadan with great devotion and commitment and brought great dignity to our annual Foundation Day Ceremonies. In moments of crisis, the University has profited immensely from their wealth of experience and the high regard in which they are held by the public and those at the helm of affairs. The current Chancellor, and for the second time, is His Highness, Alhaji Ado Bayero, C.F.R., the Emir of Kano. He was installed on 17 November, 2001.

The University has also benefited greatly from the calibre of men who have led its Governing Council, Sir Sydney Phillipson, K.B.E., C.M.G., M.A. (Manc.) (1951 – 1958); Sir Francis Ibiam, K.B.E., G.C.O.N., M.B., Ch.B. (St. And.), Hon. LL.D. (St. And.) (1958 – 1961); Dr. O. Ikejiani, B.Sc., (New Brus.), M.Sc. (Chic.), M.D. (Toronto), L.M.S. (Nova Scotia), Sc.D. (Lincon) (1961 – 1965); Sir Louis Mbanefo, M.A. (Cantab.), LL.D. (Lond.), (1965 – 1976); Chief the Hon. Sir Samuel Manuwa, C.M.G., O.B.E., C.St.J., F.R.S. (Edin.) M.D. (Edin.) F.R.C.S., F.R.C.P., F.C.S., F.A.C.P., F.I.C.S., D.T.M.&H. (Liv.), Hon. LL.D. (Edin.), Hon. D.Sc. (Nig.), Hon. D.Sc. (Ibadan), Hon. D. Litt. (Ife), F.R.S.A (1967 – 1975); and Alhaji Abdurrahman Okene, (1975 – 1981). Special mention need to be made of the late Sir Sydney Phillipson who guided the affairs of the Council for seven years during pioneering days and the late Sir Samuel Manuwa who for nearly a decade served Ibadan with real dedication. Alhaji Abdurrahman Okene found himself the Pro-chancellor and Chairman of the Council during a period of economic recession. He and his colleagues on the council faced the challenge of seeking new ways of raising funds for the activities of the University, as well as seeking greater efficiency in the husbandry of existing funds. Dr. C.G. Okojie, O.F.R., L.S.M. (Nig.), F.I.C.S., F.M.C.G.P. (Nig.), a well-known Medical Practitioner, was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Council from August 1981 to December 1983. Following the take-over of government by the Military in December 1983, Dr. S.J. Cookey, O.O.N., a renowned educationist, became the Pro-chancellor and Chairman of the University Council in August 1984. Professor T.M. Yesufu, B.A. (Exeter.), B.Sc. (Econs), P.hD. (Lond.) F.N.I.M., former Vice-Chancellor, University of Benin, and former Pro-Chancellor, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Council in November, 1985. Alhaji Liman Ciroma, C.F.R., Hon. LL.D. (Sokoto) Hon. LL.D (Ibadan), a retired Secretary to the Federal Military Government and Head of the Federal Civil Service succeeded Professor T.M. Yesufu when he was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Council, in July, 1986, ably steered the ship of the governing Council during the period of staff industrial strike actions till 1992, when he was succeeded by Prof. Iya Abubakar, an Alumnus of the University. At present, the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Council is Mr. Felix O.A. Ohiwerei, a distinguished and dedicated Alumnus.

Professor K. Onwuka Dike, M.A., Ph.D. (Lond.), was Ibadan’s first Nigerian Principal and Vice-Chancellor from 1960 to 1967. Ibadan owes a great deal to the vision of its first Nigerian academic head. Of particular importance was his commitment and contribution to the establishment of the Postgraduate School at Ibadan. When Professor Dike resigned in 1967 as a consequence of the Nigerian civil war, he was succeeded by Professor T.A. Lambo, O.B.E., J.P., M.D., F.R.C.P (Edin.), D.P.M., Hon. D.Sc. (Zaria), Hon. LL.D. (Kent State Univ.) who served as the Vice-Chancellor until 1971. After a brief interlude, Professor H. Oritsejolomi Thomas, C.B.E., C.O.N., M.B., F.R.C.S., Hon. D.Sc. (Ife), Hon. F.R.C.S.I., one of the Nigeria’s most distinguished surgeons was appointed the Vice-Chancellor in 1972. He served in that capacity until November 1975. Professor Tekena N. Tamuno, B.A. Ph.D. (Lond.), of the Department of History was appointed the Vice-Chancellor in December 1975. He is the first alumnus of Ibadan to occupy that office. He served in this capacity until 30 November, 1979. Professor Samson O. Olayide, B.Sc.(Lond.) M.Sc., Ph.D. (Calif.) of the Department of Agricultural Economics, whose appointment as the Vice-Chancellor commenced in December 1979, served in that capacity until 30 November, 1983. At the time of his appointment, Professor L. Ayo Banjo, M.A. (Glas. and UCLA), Ph.d. (Ibadan), Dip. E.S. (Leeds), of the Department of English who was Deputy Vice-Chancellor from December 1981, was appointed the Vice-Chancellor of the University with effect from 1 December, 1984, after acting in that post at the expiration of Professor Olayide’s Vice-Chancellorship on 30 November, 1983. Professor Ayo Banjo served in this capacity until 30 November 1991. He was succeeded by Professor A.B.O.O. Oyediran, M.D. (Lond.), D.T.M.& H. (Edin.), M.F.C.M., F.R.FC.P. (Lond.), F.R.C.P. (Edin.), F.M.C.P.H. (Nigeria), F.W.A.C.P. Cert. Immunol. (Ibadan), as the Vice-Chancellor on 1 December, 1991 to 30 November, 1995, for a term of four years. Before his appointment, Professor Oyediran was a Professor of Preventive and Social Medicine in the College of Medicine of this University. Professor O.A. Ojengbede, B.Sc. (Med. Sci.), M.B.B.S. (Ib.), F.I.C.S., Cert. Fam. Planning, F.M.C.O.G., F.W.A.C.S. was appointed the Acting Vice-Chancellor until March 25, 1996, when Professor Omoniyi Adewoye B.A. (London), M.A., Ph.D. (Colum) became the Vice-chancellor for a term of four years in the first instance. He was a Professor of History before the appointment. In line with the decentralization policy of the University and the provision of Decree 11 of 1993, the post of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor was increased by one. Thus, Professor M.A. Filani was elected Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Admin) and Professor O.O. Oduye, also elected the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) for a term of two years (Nov. 3, 1993 to November 30, 1995). Both Deputy Vice-Chancellors were succeeded by Professor B.W. Andah who was elected Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) and Professor B. Onimode became Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) for a term of two years with effect from 27 March, 1997. Unfortunately, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) died on Monday, 22 December, 1997 before the end of of his term.

Furthermore, Professor O.O. Olorunsogo, former Dean, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences was appointed the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) with effect from 6 October - 1998, to succeed Late Professor Andah. Before the end of his tenure in that capacity, that is (6/10/1998 - 5/10/2000), Professor Olorunsogo, also served as the Acting Vice-Chancellor between 25 March, 2000 and 25 September, 2000. Thereafter, Professor Ayodele O. Falase, a frontline surgeon was appointed the Vice-Chancellor on 25 September, 2000, with Professor O. Ofi Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) and Professor J.A. Akinwumi, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), who were appointed for a term of two years with effect from 7 November, 2000.

In November 1973, the University celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its foundation. One of the highlights of the celebrations was the launching of the book titled The University of Ibadan (1948 – 73: A history of the first twenty-five years. This book, commissionmed by the University Council, was edited by Professors J.F. Ade, Ajayi and Tekena N. Tamuno, and published by the Ibadan University Press. In it, the contributors, themselves alumni of the University, examined in considerable detail, the growth and development of Ibadan with emphasis on its pioneering role and contributions to the development of higher education in Nigeria.

In 1981, “Ibadan Voices” was published by the University Press. The book was edited by Profesor Tekena N. Tamuro, one of the Alumni Stars of this University. “Ibadan Voices” is a collaborative work of former students, teachers, administrators, professionals and technical staff of the University since its foundation as a College in 1948. The various chapters portray reminiscences, recollection thoughts, reflections and views on Ibadan. This exciting book focuses attention on the growth and development of University of Ibadan as a social institution and as a centre of learning. Ibadan as this study shows, made deliberate, but necessary adjustments to match the pace and complexity of Nigeria’s development as a nation state under civilian and military regimes. An endowment Appeal fund was launched by the then Visitor, His Excellency, General Yakubu Gowon, to mark the occasion. Under the 1975-80 quinquennial plan, the University proposed new academic programmes and major capital projects. Among these was the upgrading in 1980/81, of the erstwhile Faculty of Medicine to collegiate status. At the instance of the Council, the Federal Military Government promulgated on 25 June, 1984, the College of Medicine of the University of Ibadan Statute. The College currently comprises Four Faculties; Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Dentistry, Public Health as well as the Institute of Medical Research and Training. Also established are the following professional/academic programmes – Technology, Law, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Urban and Regional Planning, Industrial and Labour Relations, Information Science, Social Work, Managerial Psychology, Communication Arts etc.

In the 1990/91 Session, the Collegiate System was extended to the rest of the University. Thus, in addition to the College of Medicine, the following four new colleges emerged: Arts, the Social Sciences and Law; Science and Technology; Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine; and Education. But regrettably, it functioned briefly till 31 March, 1994, when the Colleges, except the College of Medicine, were abolished as a result of poor funding.
The foundation Principal of the former University College, Ibadan (in special relationship with the University of London), Professor Kenneth Mellanby, now deceased, accompanied by his wife, visited the University on 11 March, 1992. Professor Mellanby had earlier visited the University on two occasions: at the inauguration of the independent University of Ibadan in November, 1963, and during the Silver Jubilee celebration of the University in November, 1973.
The Endowment Fund was relaunched and Honorary Degrees were conferred on Chief Oludolapo Ibukun Akinkugbe, Industrialist; Archdeacon Emmanuel Oladipo Ajao Alayande, a renowned Educationist; Chief Matthew Tawo Mbu, Barrister-at-Law, a distinguished Public Servant; His Royal Highness, Alhaji Umaru Sanda Ndayako, CFR,a distinguished Public Servant; Professor Chuckwuedu Nwokolo, NNMA, OFR., an all-round Medical Professor and Researcher; General Olusegun Obasanjo, G.C.F.R, Former Head of State and Professional Soldier, in 1988, during the celebration of the Fortieth Anniversary of the University. The University Anthem (The Fount) written by an alumnus (Professor Isidore Okpewho), was launched.

The “Premier” Magazine for the Alumni Association, was launched during the Foundation Day and Installation Ceremony of the Chancellor, His Royal Highness, Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula, ‘Tor Tiv IV’ in November, 1994.
University of Ibadan ‘Honorary Fellowship’ approved by the Council and the Senate, was conferred for the first time, on a distinguished former Professor of Preventive and Social Medicine, Adetokunboh Lucas, during the November, 1995 Foundation Day Ceremony. Chief (Mrs.) Moji Ladipo, B.A., M.I.L.R., (Ibadan), MNIM, MIPM, JP, former Deputy Registrar and Secretary to the Postgraduate School, was appointed the Registrar with effect from 1 January, 1997. She is the first female Registrar of the University. Chief (Mrs.) Ladipo succeeded Chief C.O. Arowolo who retired on 30 September, 1996.
Now, the University is effectively repositioned for the dynamic challenges of the 21st century.


 

FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY

STAFF DIRECTORY

S.I. Okafor, B.A., Ph.D. (Ibadan) t.(Political Geography, Regional Development, Geographic thought)Professor& Head of Dept

A. Faniran, B.A. (Lond.), Ph.D. (Sydney), FNGA Professor(Geomorphology, Resources Evaluation)

M.O. Filani, B.A. (Ife), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Penn. State) Professor(Transport Geography, Regional Planning)

O.O. Areola, B.A. (Ibadan), Ph.D. (Cantab.), FNGA Professor(Soils, Biogeography & Resource Systems)

M.A. Ayeni, B.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Professor(Quantitative Methods, Urban Geography)

J.O. Ayoade, B.Sc. (Ibadan), Ph.D. Professor(Climatology, Hydrology)

S.I. Abumere, B.Sc. (Ibadan), Ph.D. (Bristol) Professor(Regional Development, Quantitative Techniques andComputer Application in Geography)

C.O. Ikporukpo, B.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Professor (Transport and Regional Development and Environmental Studies)

A.O. Aweto, B.A., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Professor (Soils, Biogeography)

F.O. Akintola, B.A., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Professor (Environmental Management, Water Resources)

A.S. Gbadegesin, B.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Professor (Soils Biogeography)

Adejumoke A. Afolayan, B.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Reader (Migration, Population Geography)

O.O.P. Alokan, B.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Snr. Lecturer (Industrial Geography, Transport Geography)

F.O.A. Dada, B.Sc. (ABU), Postgraduate Dip. M.Sc. (Cartography) Glasgow, Ph.D. (Ibadan) (Cartography, Surveying) Snr. Lecturer

Ibidun O. Adelekan, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Lecturer I (Climatology)

O.O. Fabiyi, B.Sc. (Ife), M.Tec., Ph.D. (Minna) Lecturer II (Urban Analysis/GIS)

D.D. Ajayi, B.Sc. (Hons.), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Ibadan) Lecturer II (Industrial Geography)

R.K. Yusuf, B.Sc. (Hons.), Pg.D. (Surv.), M.Sc (GIS), (Ibadan), ANIS (Geographical Information System [GIS]).
Asst. Lecturer

G.O. Ikwuyatum, B.Sc. (Hons.) (Calabar), M.Sc. (Jos) (Migration, Population and Manpower Planning)
Asst. Lecturer


www.ui.edu.ng