National Board for Scientific Research
(NASR Tripoli), Tripoli
LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA
Centre for Solar Energy Studies
This centre carries out studies and research programmes in the
field of solar energy and proposes plans for wider usage of solar energy as well
as providing a better understanding of this vital field.
The centre has
conducted and supervised various activities, amongst which are:
- 1. The practical field project for solar water heaters.
- 2. Solar desalination projects.
- 3. The experimental wind farm project in Zawara, in
participation with the German institute (GTZ).
- 4. The study of the real value of wind velocities, a project
which covers the coastal areas between Benghazi and Sirt.
- 5. The installation of a wind system with a 1000 watt
- 6. The wind and solar radiation atlas in conjunction with the
public electricity company.
- 7. The use of solar cells for electrical energy generation in
conjunction with the General Electricity Company of Libya.
- 8. The project for the use of heat transference for
generating electricity also in conjunction with the PEC.
Marine-Life Research Centre
This research centre focuses on all that involves the
development utilization and understanding of marine resources.
main activities supported and carried out by this centre are the following:
- Study of the distribution and diffusion of sea sponge beds in
the coast of Derna.
- The study of fish produce and compilation of statistics
concerning some significant economical types on the Libyan coast.
- Biological study of blue fin tuna fish.
- Biological study of the sea bed and sea surface in Libyan
- Study of cartilaginous fishes on the Libyan coast in addition
to the biology of two shark types (Abu Shawka and El Mutasawela).
- Study of salt marshes and damp areas in Jamahiriya.
- Study of oil pollutants and heavy metals on Libyan coastlines
in conjunction with the energy centre, the petroleum research centre and the
public organization for the environment under the supervision of the
international energy inspection.
- Joint projects conducted on board the centre's research ship
NUR; mainly training courses and marine research projects along the eastern
- The centre issues several scientific publications and
booklets concerning its projects.
Centre for Desert Studies and Desert Communities
This centre, located in Murzuq, has, since its foundation aimed
at achieving the objectives that serve the affairs and special nature of desert
societies and ways of improving their lifestyles.
Amongst the centre's research activities are:
- The comprehensive survey of light and traditional
manufactures in the town of Murzuq.
- Determination and evaluation of solar cell systems in Libya.
- The comprehensive survey of locust types in southern Libya.
- An evaluation study of the Humera agricultural project.
- Study of the utilization of solar energy in the preservation
of food products.
- A physiological and environmental study of the local tree
used in stabilizing sand (Atripex Halimus).
- Research study of local pests.
- A study of the ecological and productivity changes in the
Maknusa agricultural project.
Economic Research Centre
This centre which is located in the city of Benghazi focuses
it's research activity on:
- The general basis the restructuring of Libyan economy.
- The possibility of Libya being a trading country.
- Utilization of Libyan economic resources for the future.
- Determination and evaluation of accounting principles
practiced in Jamahiriya.
- The possibility of founding a stock market in Libya.
- The economics of education in Libya.
- National income statistics.
- Evaluation studies of companies under the economics sector.
- The population situation in Libya.
- Criteria for auditing and occupational behaviour in
- Study of the rational environment pattern.
- Evaluation study concerning the tax system in Libya.
- Public debt in Libya.
- The administrative system and job descriptions for the
overseas investments company.
- Evaluation of the economic feasibility study of the
automobile and light trucks company.
- Evaluation of the economic and financial status for the sahel
- Settlement of the project for automobiles and light trucks.
- Study of the administrative and accounting system for the
Arabic company for cement.
- The financial and administrative system for the public
company for prefabricated homes.
- The computer system for the public company for prefabricated
- Economic feasibility of une trading ports the Libyan company
for sea ports.
- Investment chances for the cooperative company for seaports.
- The general frame work for the strategy and investment for
the Arabic company for overseas investments.
- The restructuring and reorganizing of the university of the
7th April / Zawia.
- The accounting system and the documentary cycle for the
Benghazi investment company.
- The financial and administrative system for the public
company for prefabricated buildings.
The Arab Development Institute
This institute was established to function as a national
research centre focusing on Arab nationalistic issues wrath a branch in Beirut,
Amongst this institute's main objectives is the concern for the
distribution of workers who support specialists in scientific research so that
they include all Arab chizens.
The subject matter for research has been
chosen to harmonize with the main interests of the Arab nation in political,
economic, social and internal relations issues.
The institute has over 300 publications. A great percentage of
these has dealt with general topics such as unification, integration and unified
Arab action. Others have taken the form of translations from significant books
required for higher studies in various fields of knowledge. Some of these
publications present the results of research projects carried out by specialist
research teams, while others provide curricula for higher education.
The institute publishes 3 periodicals:
- (El Fikr El Araby) which wen vanes significant areas of
- (El Fikr El Araby El Istrategy)which deals with mihtany
- (El Ilm wa El Teknologia) which deals with science and